[luau] Videl FTP

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Nov 27 11:53:00 PST 2002

eXt wrote:

snip

> 4- What is the "best" distro for a "Commercial web-server" (i know
> mandrake is newbie friendly...but i'm having more headaches trying to
> install stuff on it because of this)

Other people have mentioned it, but I figured I'll summarize.

Don't neseciarilly limit yourself to Linux.  There's lots of BSDs out
there that are very good at serving up web pages.  Yahoo, for example,
is run off Apache on FreeBSD.

However, Debian and RedHat have a reputation for Linux servers, and the
Linux community seems to be a bit more "friendly" in terms of
interactive support (IRC and mail lists), but that's just been my
perception.

RedHat has the advantage over Debian of "real" commercial support (from
RedHat) if you want that.  However, Debian's packaging system seems
unbeatable.

Of course, if you're a control freak, or if you're very intimate with
Linux systems, you may feel comfortable using something like Slackware
or even "rolling your own".  This has the advantage that you know
absolutely everything that's on the system.  You can trim it down to
only what you need and exactly what you need.  The downside is that
maintainance can become a bit more complicated without a package manager
and readily available packages.

--MonMotha