[luau] MPLUG Status 11/23/2002

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Tue Nov 26 15:37:01 PST 2002

  Warren Togami wrote:

> I have decided to take a semester off of college during Spring 2003 in
> order to focus on Linux research, development and advocacy.  I will
> spend all of my time until Fall 2003 working on the following projects.

Hi Warren-

Sorry that I have not been visiting LUAU for quite some time.  About
quitting school, even for just one semester, I really think you should
give it very careful thoughts.   I remember Michael Dell told us (at
Exxon) exactly the same thing, that he was going to quit University of
Texas for just one semester.  But he never returned to school.  There
are, of course, big differences between Dell and yourself.  Michael Dell
had a very definitive goal and eventually became a multi-billionaire.
 Working on Linux (ha!), particularly on the kind of "pro bono" projects
that you mentioned, will get you nowhere. Between my wife and I, we are
probably one of the most educated pairs on earth (I have BS, MS, PhD in
chemical engineering and JD, and my wife has BS, MS in electrical
engineering and MD).  I always hated schools.  And because I hated
schools, may goal had always been to study as hard as possible while in
school so that I could get the degree and get out of school as quickly
as possible.

The technology world, however, represents a very different story.  If
you really plan to take one semester off, you should try to formulate a
much grander goal--more particularly, trying to work on something that
has a much broader reach and more permanent impact.  For example,
instead of working on the project(s) yourself, perhaps you should think
about the possibility of working on a "handbook" (or "cookbook"), so
others can do the dirty work for you. That's how technology and
experience can best propagate and grow local roots.  By doing this, you
and our other LUAU "guys" (gender-neutral) will acquire a strong
leadership, and Hawaii will produce an army of willing and able Linux
advocates.

As I mentioned earlier, I will be more than happy to sponsor you
project, if you can articulate its worthy goals and demonstrate its
long-term self-sustainability (the key word is "self").  Hawaii is a
very difficult place to do business, and I have drastically cut down my
expenses, including moving my office to my basement, to compensate for
my drastically reduced revenue.  However, I believe I will still be able
to absorb at least part of the hardware cost to develop a "Linux lab".
 In order to promote Linux in Hawaii, I really believe we should shelf
the idea of using used PCs at least for a while.  My idea is to build a
number of powerful (and cheap) new LInux and Windows PCs networked
together, which can be duplicated by business concerns.  One of those
PCs should be a new Athlon-64 machine.  :-)

Technology and money always have to go hand in hand.  I know a number of
venture capital groups.  But to be blunt, I just don't see how anyone
will be interested in investing in what we are doing here.  (Living in
paradise has a price, but we should never give up our hope.)  Another
possibility (probably the only possibility) is to pursue the non-profit
route.  There are quite a few chartible foundations in Hawaii constantly
reviewing funding proposals.  As an example (this is the one that I am
somewhat familiar with), when one of my neighbors (Doris Duke) died, she
left more than two billion dollars in her estate.  Her will was recently
probated, giving all her money to a charitable foundation established
under her name.  As a matter of law, her estate must give out at least
5% of its assets (or 100 million dollars) to non-profit causes including
education.  I don't have any influence, whatsoever, as to how the
trustees of her estate will decide on funding requests.  I brought this
up because you mentioned quitting school, and believed that you probably
need to look over a broader horizon.