[luau] more firewall script questions

Thomas David Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Fri Nov 22 13:29:00 PST 2002

ons

> > Can internal LAN clients ping 192.168.1.1 on eth1?
>
> Yes and no! If I connect the firewall directly to a client using a
> crossover cable, each can ping the other. But when I connect them
> via my
> switch, they no longer can.

This turned out to be some sort of timing (or MAC?) problem, if I wait
long enough and reset enough things, it finally gets to the point where
a LAN client can ping the firewall, and the firewall can ping the LAN
client through the switch. But the firewall still cannot ping anything
on the WAN (except itself). It says "network unreachable". Routing
problem? I set the gateway for the firewall the same as that for the
linksys router, and the linksys is able to work. Usually.

Daffled Dave