[luau] java swing over ssh

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Fri Nov 22 09:02:01 PST 2002

Sorry, should have been more clear.  You know how you can "tunnel" an
application using ssh, where you ssh to a linux box, and run, say,
gedit, and gedit shows up on your desktop, but it's actually running on
that other machine and you can open/edit/save files on that other machine.

Well, you can do the same thing pretty well with java apps written using
awt, but for java apps written in swing, performance, even over a fairly
good link, just sucks eggs.  I think the awt widgets are supported, but
swing widgets aren't, so swing widgets end up being rendered as bitmaps
or something.  So what I'm trying to find out is if anyone is working on
supporting swing widgets in the same manner that awt widgets are supported.

Thanks for the links though, I'll check those out.

-Charles