[luau] NVIDIA driver and kernel upgrades

cpaul at telemetrybox.org cpaul at telemetrybox.org
Mon Nov 18 11:48:00 PST 2002

> Oh, and as an off note.. Anyone else here use Gentoo? I have it on one of my
> systems and like it quite a bit. I admit that it is a pain to install but
> you get a custom compiled system that is very responsive.

I have installed Gentoo over ALL of my NetBSD systems.  It gives me the
flexibility of BSD ports with the "power" (read: Fun Stuff) of the Linux
kernel.

I am looking for more ways to speed up the Gentoo install; I currently
know a few paths.

At the Atherton YMCA Linux Lab several Gentoo workstations were
installed using a common partition image that I dd'ed over the net.  It
*is* also possible to `emerge -b system` on one machine, and then use
the binary packages to bootstrap the other systems -- but that only
works well on homogenous (ie. same USE= flags) boxen.  Finally, uPM (
http://telemetrybox.org/upm ) is starting to look promising as a Gentoo
package manager...  Unfortunately (or Fortunately?), the developer of
uPM is starting to move away from Gentoo towards a customized uPM-based
distro.

take care,
charles