[luau] NVIDIA driver and kernel upgrades

Brandon Jasper dragonw at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Nov 17 15:21:00 PST 2002

I don't know how many of you have heard about the vulnerability in the
redhat kernel but as usual they have put out a fix in a very timely
manner... Unlike some other corporations *cough* M$ *cough*. Anyway, I let
the redhat network update my kernel and booted it... To my surprise X didn't
work, until I realized that I had compiled the NVIDIA kernel drivers for the
old kernel and smacked myself on the head for not thinking of it sooner (I
had a long night ok? :P).  The moral of the email is... If you install a new
kernel version and are using an NVIDIA card... You need to recompile the
drivers which is why you should download the src rpms rather than the
precompiled ones and use the 'rpmbuild --rebuild --recompile' command on
them which will put the rpms in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/ directory so you
can install them as usual.

I know many of you probably already know this but I thought I might as well
post it for prosperities sake for those who don't use NVIDIA cards at the
moment and get one in the future.

Oh, and as an off note.. Anyone else here use Gentoo? I have it on one of my
systems and like it quite a bit. I admit that it is a pain to install but
you get a custom compiled system that is very responsive.