[luau] Web-Based Thin Clients

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Thu Nov 7 11:16:01 PST 2002

A friend of mine developed a system which runs Linux thin clients on a
Win2000 server.  He couldn't sell even a single copy and very quickly
went out of business.

Why? Most private Windows users don't have to pay for their software
(which either came with the machine or is pirated).  But this is not so
with a business concern.  And the licensing cost (e.g., multiple MS
Office licenses) to run a business Windows server will simply asphyxiate
any business without a deep pocket.

Thus, the idea is to run the thin client either in Windows or with a
bootable Linux CD.  The server has to be in Linux, running free or
reasonably-priced Linux programs.