[luau] PPP server & Client

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Nov 5 14:57:00 PST 2002

gutierrej001 at hawaii.rr.com wrote:
> Does any one know where I can find information on how to make 2 computers communicate
> thru serial prot using ppp?
> I want to be able to login into the server from client using a null modem serial
> cable.
> any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thank You.

If all you want to do is log in, there's a far easier way: just put a
getty on the serial port.  To do this, modify /etc/inittab.  Your
current one probably includes an example; if not, I can post one.

To run PPP across it (if you want to get IP connectivity going), you'll
do the above, then set up ppp to log in as a user and run "pppd" (you
may wish to make a special user with pppd as their shell).

--MonMotha