[luau] Ghost for Linux and Pattition Image

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Nov 5 13:39:01 PST 2002

W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> Do you have any info as to how to make those demo CDs?  I remember SuSE
> has a downable demo CD.  But how to make one in Red Hat?

There are a couple approaches to take.  One is to get it small enough
that at least the root filesystem can be loaded in a ramdisk, then the
CD mounted on /mnt and other filesystems get loopback mounted (/var,
/usr, /home, etc [but not /etc ;)]), then you mount more ramdisks on top
of this in places that need to be read-write.  It's ugly, but it works
and wont' break anything as you have read-write filesystems.

The other option is to modify the system to tolerate readonly
filesystems.  This isn't exactly easy to do, and you'll almost always
have a few places mounted on ramdisks (tmpfs) anyway to run any major
apps, but it has a smaller memory footprint and isn't as complicated.

Remember, you can burn any filesystem onto a CD-ROM.  You're not limited
to iso9660.  This means you can have a full ext2 filesystem (for
example) on the CD, not having to sacrifice attributes for CD
compatiblity (though Rock-Ridge is pretty good, it doesn't have everything).

--MonMotha