[luau] Ghost for Linux and Pattition Image

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon Nov 4 21:55:01 PST 2002

The reason I am all of a sudden interested in a Ghost-like image cloning
program such as g4u or Partition Image is that, during my recent trip to
Taiwan, I installed a Linux PC (Red Hat 8.0) for my mother-in-law, who
never even dared to touch a computer in her life.

With the Red Hat Linux PC (remember, there are very big differences
between versions 7.3 and 8 of Red Hat), not only did she no longer have
the fear (believe me, Microsoft Windows is VERY intimidating, especially
for old people), she was also very impressed and instantly liked it.
 (In fact, she liked the Linux PC so much that, after I left, she bought
herself a nice LCD monitor as well as applied for an ADSL
subscription--so that she can better manage her stock portfolio).

Without Linux, my mother-in-law most likely would have never had the
"privilege" to use a computer.  Linux has removed the psychological as
well as generational barrier.  And I don't think her experience will be
unique.

One of the most impressive features of Red Hat 8.0 is its multi-lingual
capability.  For example, you can set up a plurality of users, each with
a different locale such as English, Taiwanese (traditional Chinese),
Chinese (simplified Chinese), Japanese, Korean, etc.  In the part of the
world where we should be most interested in, this setup is guaranteed to
impress everyone.

What I have in mind is that it should not be too difficult to develop an
optimized and "minimalized" Red Hat 8.0 system, then clone the image
into a CD-R and make the disk bootable.  Thereafter, when booted from
the CD-ROM, it will execute scripts which will copy the disk image onto
the free space.