[luau] FYI: DOD donated PC's

Taylor Cody Civ SAIC/PETS Cody.Taylor at hickam.af.mil
Wed May 29 12:56:00 PDT 2002

Here is a couple of things I have learned about getting the military to
donate computers for educational use.  Allot of the times a custodian will
want to remove the hard drives before giving out machines.  I can't say this
isn't the fastest and safest thing to do, but there are other ways.  If the
drive has always been unclassified than the military has approved software
that will write 0's to the drive "seven" times.  This is the DOD standard if
you want to officially call a drive "clean".  According to Hickam's base
ADPE custodian, the drives can be given with the PC's once this is done.  If
you ask me, once you get someone at that level to say OK, record all the
serial numbers, fill out the paper work, get the right signatures, and push
the machines out the door.  Unfortunately some people would rather yank out
the drives, or let a machine sit in a store room before they go through that
trouble.  Hickam doesn't seem to have that problem so we have lucked out so
far.  This one custodian who is on the ball, will end up providing 30+
machines for us to place in various public and private schools in Hawaii.  I
think that is pretty cool.  Of course im not going to brag on the Air Force
to much, until the machines are signed for and off the base.  Maybe
tomorrow.  ^_^

Cody Taylor
Northrop Grumman,Information Technology,
PACAF ETS
Hickam AFB, Honolulu, HI
808-449-4102