[luau] Linux POS/Cash Register Terminal Image

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue May 28 13:34:00 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Strode" <halfline at hawaii.rr.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: [luau] Linux POS/Cash Register Terminal Image

> I only like that idea if the ssh accounts are tied to registers and not
> cashiers.  In other words, I don't think it would be too great if a
> cashier could only use one register on the whole system.

Sorry about that, I should have been more clear about this.  I was using
"register" and "cashier" interchangably because each cashier (drawer) is
attached to a computer register.

I think the unique private/public key per client authentication will work.
The benefit of getting rid of passwords entirely would be very good, while
it also completely eliminates the problem of cashiers logging into the wrong
account.

You bring up a good point if Counterpoint has its own proprietary telnet
daemon.  I don't know.  Scott do you know about this?

> > Perhaps we could also have the server enforce logins from that IP,
account and
> > keypair only from a certain MAC address.
> MAC address spoofing is so trivial, I don't see any added security from
> doing this.

Well, I was just thinking about the added coolness factor. =)