[luau] Looking for school LTSP project

Taylor Cody Civ SAIC/PETS Cody.Taylor at hickam.af.mil
Tue May 28 10:42:47 PDT 2002

> not sure that Cody will be able to get Air Force hardware for us to
> dedicate to a non-public school entity like his.

Im working on it right now. Im trying to convince the main custodian that
private schools can receive computer equipment and we can get a letter
stating it will be used for educational uses.  The policy reads:
"b) Agencies shall attempt to give particular preference to schools and
nonprofit organizations located in the Federal enterprise communities and
empowerment zones..."
I noticed "attempt" and "nonprofit organizations".

> I like Warren's suggestion that the hardware be accepted and labeled for
> our first public school.

Anther clause states:
"(c) Each agency shall, to the extent permitted by law and where
appropriate, identify educationally useful Federal equipment that it no
longer needs and transfer it to a school or nonprofit organization by:"

Soo, if we can find a rep from any nonprofit organization to sign for the
equipment I think we can do this.  I think we could legally give the
equipment to a private school but if the main custodian doesn't agree I
can't argue.  Is LUAU an official non profit org?  Instead of getting each
school to sign for equipment it would be great if we could transfer
equipment to a nonprofit org, who turns around and gives the equipment to
schools.