[luau] Hat 7.3 / Drake 8.2 / Simplicity

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon May 27 13:42:00 PDT 2002

I really don't feel like responding to this thread.  But I feel that I
must take a very unpopular position here.

One of the best considerations of Linux is, of course, the worldwide
"free" user support.  However what will be the consequence if everyone
takes this "free beer" attitude for granted.

There are free advice "doners" and there are "donees".  Most of us are
donees, who, of course, would like to have everything free.  Not only we
want our questions answered free, we want to have to have them
immediately.  Within the former catogory, there are also causual doners
like many of us who don't care about getting paid to help others.  But
we should also respect the possibility that eventually there will be
professional Linux providers, who may be more than willing to give out
their services free, if they don't have the bills to pay, a family to
feed, and a mortgage that will be there even after you go six feet under.

On the MandrakeExpert issue, 85% of the fees go to those qualified
"experts".  A "Mandrake expert" starts out by giving "free" advices,
then when his/her knowledge is recognized by the community to have
reached a certain level, s/he will start getting paid.