[luau] RedHat 7.3 Gone Totally Weird

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Mon May 27 02:07:00 PDT 2002

> RedHat 7.3 has gone totally weird.  Any time I click on anything in the
> RedHat Control Panel, it launches 'kppp."
That's an odd problem your experiencing. :-)

Are you talking about that ugly program that has like the strip of
program icons to perform different administrative tasks?

If, so I may have an answer.

Snooping around, I found that /usr/lib/rhs/control-panel contains a
bunch of files that end in ".init". Each one of these specifies one of
the programs that appears in the panel.  The first line in each of these
files seems to specify which program to run when the corresponding icon
is clicked in the panel.  I think it's conceivable (all tho I'm not sure
how it could happen) that each one of these files on your system has
"kppp" as the first line.  Is that the case?  If so, you'll probably
have to change them to the correct program names or get a good copy of
the init files somewhere (maybe reinstalling the rpm would work).

> Is this due to the fact that I haven't registered the installation with
> RedHat?
Not likely.  They aren't that devious I don't think ;-).

--Ray