[luau] Mandrake 8.2

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Sun May 26 22:22:00 PDT 2002

 from the perspective of a newbie,  Mandrake is the clear choice.   I
tried a few other distributions, primarily Red hat, but also Suse,
Caldera, Elx, and Corel.  one problem with 8.2, if I understand
correctly, is that it is written primarily for 686  machines and so I
had a real mass when I tried to upgrade on my old K-6  machine.   I
learned later there is a patch and a work  around,  but now that I have
 8.1  working well again,  I think I willtake a few breaths before
launching back into 8.2.  I am not sure about the Win4Lin  problem;
 another part of the mess was uninstalling and trying to reinstall the
Win4Lin kernel upgrade.  another problem was reinstalling my OSS  sound
drivers:  but that might have worked out well if I had only gotten the
basic install properly done.

 I must say I would have stayed with the corel system if I had gotten
sound working;  it was a very slick install,  configured my home
network,  found my Windows machines,  etc.  I do not know enough about
this subject to understand why it was so slickbut I would think that
 Mandrake and others could learn something from studying  the Corel
operating system.   Pardon the errors in  this,I am practicing with
xvoice.  Bye