[luau] Swap space for 7.3

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Sat May 25 14:33:01 PDT 2002

Lucas wrote:

>RDRAM

Ha! You must have one of the early versions of Pentium 4. Being a
dedicated AMD fan, I'll keep my mouth shut. But I suspect the thermal
throttling is causing your P4 to run at half of it stated clock speed.

But the main issue is, I suppose you are running KDE. With "only" 128 M
memory, you are really asking for trouble.

My suggestion is, if you do not intend to add more Rambus RAMs (no use
wasting your hard earned $$$--an advice from someone with a very biased
mind), you should use IceWM as your default window manager. It takes up
only 4~5 MB of memory. (KDE takes up ~32 or so MB? My knowledge is
totally out of date. Might have improved since my last check.)

However, IceWM needs to be highly customized in order to be
user-friendly. Our own George (aka Joe Linux) of Kailua has done an
extensive work in making IceWM useable. This is an excellent product
made in Hawaii, and I am very proud to mention it.

Wayne