[luau] bootable raid and the MBR

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Fri May 24 20:08:00 PDT 2002

Ok.  There's a lot of stuff here.  And I read it twice, but I'm still a
little lost.  One thing to keep in mind is that /etc/fstab mounts different
directories and such from hard drives it found.  The hard drives are
hard-coded in there according to where it finds them on the motherboard.  So
linux is never real happy about you moving drives around onto different
controllers.  Usually you'd have to use a bootdisk and manually change the
fstab.  That's probably a big part of your problem.  Second, I assume in the
HD controller bios setup, this isn't in raid array form or anything, right?
Its also conceivable, although not likely, that the hard drive controller
uses something weird like LBA or not LBA or something that makes it read
things differently than the standard controller.  The MBR is a special
little chunk of the hard drive that holds boot information.  If grub is in
the MBR, it should load grub, even if the OS is bad and doesn't support the
controller.  But here's three things to try.

1.  Install the OS again while the hard drive is on the raid array.  If it
loads the drivers, it should be perfectly happy with this.  Probably your
best option.

2.  Instead of grub, choose lilo to be your boot loader.  You may want to
use the LBA32 flag, or something like that that has some function in raid
arrays.

3.  boot off the install CD, enter rescue mode, figure out what device your
raid array is called, check your fstab, check your /etc/grub.conf, and make
sure it all works out ok.

-Eric Hattemer