[luau] Using Opera from Menu

Joel joel at lava.net
Fri May 24 14:08:29 PDT 2002

On Friday 24 May 2002 08:08 am, Ralph Miranda wrote:
> I have finally loaded Opera (web browser) successfully on my system.  I'm
> using Mandrake 8.1   but the only problem is, I can only activate it when I
> open up a shell and type "opera" then the browser opens up.. and when I
> looked for Opera browser in my shell by typing  "slocate opera"  I received
> the following lines:
>
> slocate opera
>
> /usr/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/operator.so
>
> any ideas of what I should do?

Your locate database probably hasn't updated itself, yet. It usually updates
in the evening, via a cron job. If you want it to update immediately, log in
as root, and type:

/usr/bin/slocate -c -u

Though if you want to get anything done while it's processing, you might want
to type this instead:

nice --adjustment=+19 /usr/bin/slocate -c -u

Also, to find the location of *any* program you can execute from the command
line, type:

which <program>

--Joel