[luau] NEWS: Sherwin-Williams to use Linux Cash Registers

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Fri May 24 12:57:00 PDT 2002

Warren Togami wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 12:27, MonMotha wrote:
>
>>I looked through the description of your project, and I have a few
>>questions, then I can get started building a floppy for you:
>>
>>1) Do you want X11 or just a text console?  If X11, what video hardware
>>will be on these (both monitor and video card)?
>

> I am recommending text console only for the initial version.  Text
> console would be easier to read and introduce less complications than
> X11.  With X11 we would need to deal with stuff like video drivers,
> monitor settings, fonts, and users accidentally minimizing the window
> then blaming the computer thinking it is "broken".  (They currently do
> that on the Win98 cash registers.)

Well, when you do decide to go X11, you could either use no window
manager (if it's just one big window), or tell the WM to refuse to
minimize that window if not remove the minimize command from the UI
entirely (gotta love fvwm! :)

>>2) What kernel do you prefer?  2.0, 2.2, or 2.4.  Older kernels tend to
>>be smaller, newer kernels support more nifty features.  I'm opposed to
>>2.0 kernels, but will do either 2.2 or 2.4, whichever you prefer.
>

> Either 2.2 or 2.4 would probably suffice.

Then I'll probably go with 2.4 since that's what I'm used to working with.

>>3) What kind of basic utils will you want?  I use busybox, so you can
>>check out their site as to what is available, but I can also compile
>>some stuff on my own (though space is limited of course) provided the
>>app can be compiled against uClibc fairly easily.
>>

> We were thinking about using read-only IDE flash disks for these Linux
> cash registers.  Far more reliable than floppies, and probably more
> reliable than hard drives because there are no moving parts.  (Some of
> the cash register locations had problems with overheatig.)  We can buy
> sizes anywhere between 4MB-several GB so there is a lot of flexibility
> in what we can do.  We need to figure out what size of smallest flash
> disks we would need to buy without detracting from effectiveness.  The
> flash disks should also leave some room to grow should we think of new
> useful features to add to the system later.

That would work fine, I just need to know a final size and if you want
it compressed or not.

>>4) I know you will be needing SSH, and I assume OpenSSH most recent
>>unless you want otherwise.  The SSH needs to compile against uClibc.
>

> SSH would be nice, but we would need to think of a way to secure the
> reverse (server to client) print connections too.

Port forward for lpd?