[luau] Looking for school LTSP project

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 22 20:47:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 20:32, Jeff Zidek wrote:
> I originally was reluctant to be a full fledged Linux advocate but now I
> have changed my thinking.  I successfully used Samba to hook up a small
> student lab but still was stuck with M$ on the clients.  After setting
> up a LTSP server and client using Redhat 7.2 with a Gnome Desktop I am a
> convert completely.  I can no longer see a need for M$ software.  It
> does everything I need and does it easier.  I still have to work with M$
> software at work but I would like to setup a school computer lab at a
> school on the windward side.  I will be on vacation for about a week so
> if anyone hears about a needy school that is interested I am game.  I
> want to apply for the Intel processors and setup diskless  workstations
> using donated machines from the military.  I just need a school with an
> open mind that is willing to spend a little bit of money to make it
> happen.  I will be monitoring the list while on vacation and any input
> would be appreciated.   Thanks   Jeff Zidek

Yesterday I gave a presentation of Linux technologies and LTSP to a
group of tech coordinators from HAIS (Hawaii Association of Independent
Schools).  Two of the tech coordinators including St. Louis immediately
saw the value of LTSP and asked to know more.  Perhaps St. Louis would
be a very good candidate for these LTSP thin clients.  If they are not
ready, then Mid-Pacific Institute is ready for additional thin clients
to supplement our existing 22.

In any case, could you please bring all hardware to Mid-Pacific
Institute so we can all work together to refurbish and test the
machines?  I hope to make MPI a central location for hardware to be
deployed to schools in our Linux in education initiative.  I have plenty
of time this summer to do this.

Also, Today I spoke with an educational representative at Red Hat.  It
sounds that the schools will have free RHN access for updates, which
should be very useful because LTSP is officially supported by up2date
after their Red Hat 7.3 release.  We may also get some small financial
support in order to do a small Linux technology conference/demonstration
where we invite tech coordinators from Hawaii public and private
schools.