[luau] Unwanted Perrmissions Changes - Drake 8.2

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 22 11:48:00 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Linux" <joelinux at earthlink.net>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 4:30 AM
Subject: [luau] Unwanted Perrmissions Changes - Drake 8.2

> I'm very frustrated.  I want the permissions on my home directory and
> other users home directory to be 770, but the Mandrake Linux  System
> constantly changes the permissions back to 755 on these directories.  Is
> there anyway to stop it from doing this?
>
> Permissions and the lack of control over them are the most annoying
> thing about Linux, and probably a primary reason the entire OS is not
> very popular.

Please don't jump the gun and blame it on Linux.  This sounds to be a
feature, not a bug, of Mandrake's MSEC security module that enforces certain
access controls because it thinks it knows better than the user.  In most
cases it DOES know better than the user, but in your case you must figure
out how to disable it.

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/msec.php
Please read this page for more details.  The simple fix would be to lower
your msec security level (you can find that in DrakConf).

Just remember when it comes to most security, security is an inverse curve
to usability.