[luau] INFO: Story Behind Open Source Software

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 15 00:41:20 PDT 2002

http://opensourceschools.org/article.php?story=20020506224812885

This article talks about the origins of Richard Stallman's Free Software
Foundation, BSD license, GPL license, "Open Source Software" and "Free
Software", and the creation of the Linux Software Development Model.

This is especially useful in understanding the difference between "Free
Software" and "Open Source Software", because there are key differences.

I myself subscribe to the belief that 'Free Software' is too ambiguous in
the English language (especially in America culture), and 'Open Source' is
less misunderstood by the general public and business community.  'Free
Software' itself should be thought of as 'Software Libre', emphasizing the
Liberty being the important part of the word 'Free Software', not
necessarily the price.

So I guess that makes me an Open Source and/or Liberty of Software advocate.