[luau] REVIEW: OpenOffice 1.0

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 8 21:33:45 PDT 2002

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/4190/1/

A First Look at OpenOffice.org 1.0
Evaluating the OpenOffice.org 1.0 Production Release

We are in the midst of a revolution. Companies have realized that the
recent rumblings of Linux moving into the business world are real and
that it is quickly becoming a desirable OS for production business use.
Programs needed in a business productivity suite include a word
processor, spreadsheet, drawing and presentation tools. The business
world revolves around these tools, although some would argue about the
value of email, scheduling software and a Web browser. I've used
StarOffice in the past and have been pretty happy with it. Alternative
business productivity packages, under Linux, include Koffice, Applix and
others. MS Office leads the charge in a Windows environment. The goal of
this article is to evaluate the Linux OpenOffice.org suite on its own
merits, point out some common features that will help your business
process and bring attention to areas that might initially cause you
problems.

I've drawn comparisons with the Microsoft Office suite hoping that
future Linux practitioners will see that the Linux world is providing
viable software options. And, to make the options even more compelling,
OpenOffice.org is available for Windows, which could provide an initial
starting point for those interested in a free office suite but not yet
interested in a full-scale platform migration.

I see the release of OpenOffice.org (based on donated StarOffice code)
as a great Open Source foundation for a quality desktop business
productivity suite of the future.

... continued in article
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/4190/1/

ABIWORD 1.0.1 Released
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-05-08-018-26-PR-DT-SW
In other news, AbiWord 1.0.1 is officially released.  This is to be
considered the first "stable" version of AbiWord for Linux, Windows and
MacOS.  AbiWord is very useful as a small and light weight pure word
processor that can import simple Microsoft Word and Corel WordPerfect
documents.

It doesn't do tables or any other fancy features yet.  That is now in
development now that AbiWord has reached a stable "1.0" release.