[luau] WP, OpenOffice, Abiword, etc

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Wed May 8 16:03:17 PDT 2002

Greetings everyone: thanks to everyone for the help I have been
receiving.  I am amazed at how active and helpful this group is and now
kicking myself for not having attended meetings. I have been teaching
myself Linux for the past year basically by  reading books and trying
things out but my knowledge is fairly thin. Thank you, Warren for your
comments on open office: I will try to install it at/opt and see if I
can get it working, that is if I can recover from the mess I made last
night by trying to upgrade to Mandrake 8.2; more about that date or if I
get time.

Again, Warren, you said there may be a way to get around the WordPerfect
print driver by printing to cups. If you have any specific suggestions,
I would appreciate them; the print dialog screen only offers three
choices: disk, hp (the path to my printer on SMB via lpr), and $PRINT.
I am fairly sure that the last option is the way to go but I do not know
how to make it work. When I try to print to it, I get an error message.
I cannot find any environment variable on my system with that name;
perhaps there needs to be an export command with the correct path to the
spooler or filter (not that I would know how to do that). Perhaps I
could bring my box to the next meeting whenever that is and you could
have a look.

By the way, WordPerfect for Windows version 9 works very well inside my
Linux by using Win4Lin; I could just stay with that but I would like to
completely migrate to Linux.

For me, Abiword has the most pleasant appearance, imports my files
fairly well, translates them over my lan as word documents, but I
really miss the quick- correct feature and a macro function.

Star office and open office have the quick correct feature and macro
function but do not import WordPerfect files. Of course, there is a work
around by saving them as word files or .rtf, but that is humbug. By the
way, Josh Berkus, is working on WordPerfect filter and looking for
WordPerfect files to use. I will try to include his email address in
this note or another.

I would like to try the WordPerfect 9 wine version but have not been
able to obtain a copy. I tried myself to install WordPerfect using wine
but only progressed to a certain point where something was missing.

Thanks again, when and where is the next meeting.?