[luau] NEWS: MS says pay for computers that can't even run Windows

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue May 7 17:40:13 PDT 2002

According to a story  at The Register, schools who want to take
advantage of educational bulk licensing agreements with Microsoft have
to count all PCs (and Macs!), even those not running Windows." One
package of software applies to all installed PCs and Macs, including
those running Linux or BSD, so schools end up paying for stations that
Windows (and other programs) cannot or do not run on. Microsoft's
justification is that the agreement requires an "institution-wide
commitment."

Coincidentally,  "RedHat announced its Linux Pilot Program  for schools
today. Designed to improve the overall learning experience for children,
seven North Carolina school districts have already joined. One county
director is quoted as saying: 'With the money we saved from not buying
proprietary licenses, the school district purchased additional resources
that directly [a]ffected the learning experience of our students and
brought us into the 21st century.'

MS Article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25179.html
Redhat LPP:
http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2002/press_education2.html

This mail made from 100% recycled Slashdot headlines.

--MonMotha