[luau] NEWS: Getting to know and love StarOffice

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue May 7 02:12:19 PDT 2002

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/05/06/165203&mode=nocomment&tid=3

"Three years ago, Sun Microsystems announced its purchase of StarOffice:
an office suite like Microsoft Office that reads and creates MS Office
formats. It has word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation programs
that are comparable to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, plus other programs
for handling graphics, databases, Web pages, and databases. Sun, more or
less, gave it away and gave the source code to the Open Source community."

"Why hasn't StarOffice taken over the world? Good question."

"I've become intimate with StarOffice in the last three years, as a
former Sun employee and co-author of "StarOffice Companion." I've used
StarOffice, gotten to know it warts and all, and have what I think are
the answers. I've put together the reasons and solutions for why I think
StarOffice is lagging behind in adoption, and most importantly, tips and
features to help you learn to know and love StarOffice."

(continued in article)