[luau] Re: UML / read-only root file system (Was: INFO: Heavy duty storage needs)

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Fri May 3 18:46:14 PDT 2002

Kernel patching is wonderful :)

A UML is "User-Mode Linux", basically starting up a new kernel as a
userland process, and you get a whole miniture system inside the new
process.  Of course, you can do whatever you want to this kernel you're
starting up, including using a filesystem that is readonly or patching
the kernel to remove read-write support, or even simply controlling file
permissions on the outside of the UML (make sure the user the UML
process is running as can't write to the image file).

--MonMotha