[luau] Installing Linux on a Wal-Mart OS-less PC

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri May 3 01:32:58 PDT 2002

Small update at Newsforge:
Wal-Mart PC provider to correct Linux modem problem
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/05/02/1514240&mode=nocomment&tid=7

"On the afternoon of May 1, I (the author of the original review) received
email from Rich Hindman of Microtel. He said Microtel had become aware of
the review and the concerns raised by the community. With a directness which
I find refreshing in this industry, Mr. Hindman indicated that before the
day was over, Microtel intended to correct the problem."

"And correct it he did. That evening, I received notice that Microtel had
designated a hardware modem that would take the place of the current modem.
Mr. Hindman explained, "Effective 5-7-02, all units will ship with the new
hardware modem." The short delay on implementation was required because they
would not have the new modem in stock until May 7."
(read more in the article)