[luau] NEWS: AMD Gains on Intel, Sets Hammer Speeds

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu May 2 04:18:52 PDT 2002

Despite former CEO Jerry Sander's pro-Microsoft trial testimony, I still
believe in AMD's products.  This will only give us consumers more and
cheaper computing power due to the fierce competition with Intel.

(Sander's testimony was necessary whoring in order to get Microsoft's
support in a 64-bit version of Windows, without which the Hammer
architecture will never sell.  Hopefully the trial Judge saw the
overwhelming obviousness of the bought testimony.  And hey, that's okay,
Hammer kernels were already largely complete for Linux and BSD platforms a
long time ago.  We will have a sweet 64-bit Unix platform for a very low
price within a year or two.)

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-895652.html?tag=fd_top

In any event, Sanders said that at least Intel will not be able to tout
larger megahertz numbers. With Hammer debuting at speeds of at least 2GHz,
the chip will run faster than McKinley. Intel will thus be stuck trying to
argue that megahertz is important in the desktop space, where it will likely
be ahead, and that megahertz is not important in the server space, where it
won't be.

"You can't have it both ways," Sanders said.

Hammer will be marketed under the Athlon brand for the desktop and notebook
market and under the Opteron name for the server market. It will be given a
performance rating number (an AMD rating) of 3400.

(read more in the article)