[luau] DSL Router/Switch

R Scott Belford sctinc at mac.com
Thu Mar 28 21:04:35 PST 2002

Linux does not really care what you use as your router.  Windows doesn't
either.  They just want a route.  The linksys router is administered
through a web browser, so you can manage it from your windows or linux
box in the browser of your choice.  If you don't have a wireless device
behind the router, there is not much need for it to be wireless.  There
are some security issues with your wireless router being a bridge to
your lan.  Another tangent.  The linksys  router/switch has ruled
because it is a good price, and it works.

I don't know how secure the linksys product is.  I know that I have port
scanned one into submission on several occasions.  I had to unplug it
and "reboot" it to revive it.  I cannot bring down my airport by apple
with port scans.  The airport uses a version of *bsd, I believe.

Mark, it was great to see your joy as up2date dutifully brought your
installation into order.  I would buy the linksys router.  There are
others that are just as good if not better.  I know not of them.  You
will be fine.

scott