[luau] Microsoft judge opens door to broader remedy

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Mar 28 00:26:20 PST 2002

http://q1.schwab.com/content/rb/2002/03/26/616327.html

 WASHINGTON, March 26 (Reuters) - The federal judge overseeing
the Microsoft Corp.  antitrust case said on Tuesday she
wants to know more about new computer technologies such as
handheld devices to determine whether sanctions against Microsoft
should cover these items.

 U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly's request boosted the
spirits of nine states seeking stronger antitrust sanctions
against Microsoft, who have argued for remedies that protect
markets that have arisen since the trial began.

 The judge, who has expressed reservations about broadening the
case, said she needed to learn more "to determine whether it
falls beyond the outer reaches of a remedy."

 "I've decided that I need more factual information, frankly,"
Kollar-Kotelly said during hearings on the remedies demanded by
the states that have rejected a proposed settlement agreed to by
the Justice Department in November.

 Tom Greene, an attorney for the state of California, described
himself as a "happy camper" to reporters outside court, saying
the remarks signal Kollar-Kotelly may be willing to impose
broader sanctions.

(continued in article)