[luau] cursed kernel panic

R. Scott Belford sctinc at mac.com
Wed Mar 27 16:44:22 PST 2002

Warren, Ray, and Wally- Thanks.

Here is where I am.  A bit of background that will help clarify the picture.
I do not have any drives on my mboard's ide controllers.  I have an adaptec
2940u2 card controlling a fujitsu scsi drive.  The system is calling this
drive sda.  My other drives are two ides attached to a 3ware 6200 ide raid
controller.(the plot thickens)  The kernel recognizes these drives as sdb.
I had to update anaconda with the 3ware install image linked from this
http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/gotchas/7.2/ page in order for the
installation to see these drives.  These controllers are on an EPOX 8kha+
mboard using the VIA KT266A chipset.  Warren, I have found from searches at
amdmb.com that there are issues with "some" VIA chipsets.  The link that I
see that may be most relevant to me is here,
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/ke_eide-scsi.html  .  I have a corsair 512 mb
module and and an Athlon XP 1700 on the board. Other cards are a 3com nic
and a Gainward GeForce 3 card.

Last night, before I patched anaconda to see my 3ware drives, I installed on
the scsi disk.  I chose grub and had it install to the mbr.  Upon reboot,
the computer did not seem to seek this mbr and I was informed that there is
no operating system.  I made sure that my bios had scsi as one of my boot
options.  Reboot with the boot floppy led me part way in the boot process
before the kernel panic.  I will type the entire error below.

Today I reinstalled Redhat 7.2 with the 3ware image patch.  Disk druid was
able to see my 3ware and my scsi drives.  This time I installed to the 3ware
controlled drives.  No problem recognizing, partitioning, and installing.
This time I had the mbr installed on the scsi drive while the directories
were on the 3ware drives.  Rebooting this time left me hanging at "Verifying
DMI Pool Data"  I updated my motherboard's bios, rebooted, was told Updating
ESCD .... Success, Building DMI pool...success, Verifying DMI pool data
..... Update Successful  and the system hangs.  Rebooting with the floppy
gives me the same errors as when I had the OS on my scsi drive.  The error
is as follows:

After the 3ware and Adaptec module are loaded....
Journalled Block Device Driver Loaded
Mounting /proc filesystem
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed :2
Freeing unused Kernel Memory: 232K freed
Kernel Panic:  No init found.  Try passing init- option to the kernel.

What I think is happening is that the bios does not know what drive is my
master and where the mbr is.  When choosing my bootloader, it seems like I
should put some entry in the "kernel options" box during the lilo/grub
configuration step.  I just do not know right now, and I would love to know
if any of you have a suggestion (if you made it this far in my ramblings)
:-)

scott