[luau] Re: Gnome doesn't load at bootup

Dean Fujioka surfdean at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Mar 27 10:56:42 PST 2002

> Yes, I'm taking your current /etc/sysconfig/network file and i'm
> appending to it a command that will set HOSTNAME="blah" where blah is
> hostname your isp has associated with your ip address.  Then when you
> restart networking, the networking scripts will see that the hostname
> value is  "blah" and it will run hostname "blah" (among other things).
>  That should fix your problem, but it's kinda a hack.  If it works then
> I'll probably end up having you manually edit your
> /etc/sysconfig/network file with a text editor.  Something's fishy with
> it I think.
>
> --Ray

<Head officially and unofficially removed from ass>
Okay, I've got gnome running now (without the error), by removing the
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain line from the /etc/sysconfig/network file.
what I don't understand is why noone else on this list seems to have this
problem (besides Garrett Lau).  Surely others are running Rhat 7.2 with
gnome and roadrunner. How do their hostnames get set? By some scripts that
are perhaps corrupted on my machine?
At any rate, thank you for all of your time, Ray...perhaps i'll get to thank
you in person at some point.

dean