[luau] Road Runner

Dean Fujioka surfdean at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Mar 26 23:47:58 PST 2002

I have a theory.. others may build, please.
Try shutting off your Linux box, plugging in the Ethernet cable into the
Linux box.
Unplug the Cable modem power, plug it back in.
turn on the Linux box.
try to connect to the internet.

I have noticed a strange phenomenon while using RoadRunner.  They somehow
track how many computers are connected to the other end of the modem (by MAC
address I guess).  They seem to keep a log of this number.
For example: If anyone has ever tried to connect two+ computers to road
runner via a hub or switch, you will notice that the first computer to
connect to the internet is the only computer that connects to the internet,
regardless of which computer that is.  Perhaps you are experiencing
something similar, in that RoadRunner is seeing 2 MAC addresses, seemingly
changing at random (as you switch the Ethernet cable back and forth perhaps
while both computers are on) and sees this as two systems trying to connect
at the same time, and so denies the second.

If that was too long winded or incomprehensible, I apologize, but the test
at the top of this post is simple and quick.

dean