[luau] Re: Gnome doesn't load at bootup

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Mar 25 21:47:02 PST 2002

>this part, however seemed to send everything within the single quotes, i.e.
>/bin/ipcalc --silent --hostname $(/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | sed -n -e
>"s/^.*addr://g" -n -e "s/ Bcast.*//p")
>into the /etc/sysconfig/network file.

That was what it was supposed to do :-).   The idea is it should run
everytime the file is sourced.
if your /etc/sysconfig/network file doesn't have HOSTNAME= (or if it has
HOSTNAME="" or HOSTNAME="localhost") anywhere in it, then the redhat
scripts should automatically produce a hostname based on a reverse
lookup of your ip.  For some reason, your system doesn't do that, so
that line was to manaully make it do it.

>i then tried typing it manually (before I just cut and pasted into an
>executable file and ran it) but it gave me a prompt like this   >
>Maybe I typed it in wrong?

More than likely you forgot a closing quote or something.

--Ray