[luau] Good Old Fritz

Patrick Kennedy patrickjkennedy at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 20:47:09 PST 2002

The URL http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,51275,00.html notes:

"A bill introduced this week by Sen. Fritz Hollings..."

and goes on to say

"What the bill would do."

But most article seems to be very rhetorical and does not appeal to ones
intelligence, which I know that programmers have much of.

I am likely against some or all of the bill too, but if you don't
communicate effectively, you will lose your crusade.  Don't assume you know
my political background or sentiments...you don't.  But my first degree was
politics...and politics is everymans domain.

Take your opponents bill, for example, an suggest amendments that dillute or
neuter the bill's force, making you look "constructive" all the while.  This
may be a better tact with an entrenched polilitican that is unlikely to
change his or her views any way.  Or, use more reasoned arguments (not
emotive language - logic here, please) carefully showing why the bill should
be killed to audiences that (a) may change their views; or (b) directly
oppose the bill, including those politicians that are against the measure at
hand.

In any case, the bill may be linked somewhere in the mass of replies already
mounting in my inbox, but can any one cut thru the talk and find a link to
the proposed measure?

In good conscience, Patrick.