[luau] Road Runner

Mark P. Kellman mark_kellman at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 13:29:38 PST 2002

When I run a list of files in my /home/mark directory, there's a flashing file on a red background which reads:

.DCOPserver_dhcp-304-12  - > /hom/markk/.DCOPserver_dhcp-304-12_:0

I installed RH 7.2.  Here is my network configuration information:
When I go into my Network Configuration window, there are four taps:
I.    Hardware
II.   Devices
III.  Hosts
IV. DNS

I.  In the Hardware tab, my Ethernet card is listed.  When I go into the
Edit area for that card, nothing is listed for the configuration.  Nothing
is listed for IRQ (it reads Unknown), MEM, IO, IO1, IO2, DMA0, DMA1.

II.  In Devices tab, there are two listings: eth0 and Road Runner(I
configured Road Runner using the Internet Configuration Wizard).  There are
three tabs for eth0: General, Protocols, and Hardware Devices, and four tabs
for Road Runner:General, Protocols, Provider, Advanced.

(A)Editing the eth0 device, Nicknamed eth0, which is a Ethernet type:
1)General - I checked Activate device when computer starts.  I did not check
Allow All Users to Enable/Disable the Device

2)Protocols - TCP/IP is listed at the only protocol type.  Editing that
brings me three more tabs:
2a)TCP/IP - I checked Automatically obtain IP address settings with: dhcp
(from a drop list)
2b)Hostname - I filled in the Hostname, KELLMAN.hawaii.rr.com, information I
received from my winipcfg file on my windows box.  I also checked
Automatically obtain DNS information from provider
2c)Routing - Nothing is listed for Destination Network, Prefix (Netmask)
[MAYBE THIS IS WHERE MY PROBLEM IS!!!!], Gateway

3)Hardware Devices - I did not check Enable Device Alias Support, Hardware
Device description box is eth0, Use Hardware Address is NOT checked, so no
Hardware Address information is listed.

(B)Editing the Road Runner device, NO NICKNAME, which is a xDSL type.
1)General - I did NOT check the Activate device when computer starts.  I did
check Allow All Users to Enable/Disable the Device

2)Protocols - TCP/IP is listed at the only protocol type.  Editing that
brings me three more tabs:
2a)TCP/IP - I checked Automatically obtain IP address settings with: dhcp
(from a drop list)
2b)Hostname - I tried to fill in the same Hostname, KELLMAN.hawaii.rr.com,
information I received from my winipcfg file on my windows box, but it will
not accept it and clears the entry.  I also checked Automatically obtain DNS
information from provider.
2c)Routing - Nothing is listed for Destination Network, Prefix (Netmask)
[MAYBE THIS IS WHERE MY PROBLEM IS!!!!], Gateway

3)Provider - Four inputs here:
3a)Ethernet Device: eth0
3b)Provider Name: Road Runner
3c)Login Name:kellmanm001
3d)Password: I entered the correct password

4)Advanced - Two inputs here:
4a)Service-Name:empty
4b)AC-Name:empty
I did NOT check Use synchronous PPP

III.  In the Hosts tab, there is:
1)an IP address: 127.0.0.1
2)Name: localhost.localdomain
3)Aliases: localhost

IV.  In the DNS tab:
1) Hostname: localhost.localdomain
2)Domain: empty
3)Primary DNS: empty
4)Secondary DNS: empty
5)Tertiary DNS: empty
6)DNS Search Path: empty
7)Search Domain: empty

Okay, that's all the information I can find in Network Configuration.  I'm
exhausted now!!!  Let me know your thoughts if you have any.

Thanks,
Mark