[luau] Fast MPEG player

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Mar 22 17:23:47 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "MonMotha" <monmotha at indy.rr.com>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 2:23 PM
Subject: [luau] Fast MPEG player

> I have a P166MMX laptop that I'd like to watch some movies on.  These
> movies are going to be on VCD, but I'm having trouble finding a linux
> MPEG player that's fast enough to be acceptable (I know it can be done,
> windows does it and if an ipaq can play a divx...) and isn't written by
> a bunch of idiots who want to flame their users at every opportunity
> they get (mplayer).
>
> Any suggestions?  Or does anyone happen to have a recovery CD for a
> Presario 1075 so I can at least put windows back on it and use the
> hardware MPEG assist?
>
> --MonMotha

Two things may work...
MPlayer compiled with gcc-2.95 may make enough optimizations to play with
enough speed on your laptop.  I've heard that 2.96 will say it compiles with
architecture specific optimization but it ignores it instead.  I don't know
about the status of that in 3.0x.
The other thing may be... Windows Media Player.  Yes, it is an ugly solution
in Windows, but it is incredibly fast compared to any other media player
that I've tried in Linux.

Try it with the free downloadable demo of CrossOver 1.1.0.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover/download_demo.php