[luau] NoVaLUG takes Linux to government workers at FOSE trade show

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Mar 22 01:57:58 PST 2002

http://reports.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/21/1628248&tid=23

"Tucked into one corner of the FOSE technology-for-government trade show was
a little booth drawing a crowd that rivaled the numbers at all but the
largest exhibit monstrosities from companies like Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard
and Gateway."

One of the Linux distributions they were passing out sounds interesting.

"The booth volunteers were giving Knoppix to those people who came up and
asked, "What is Linux?"   "You push the big red button twice, once to turn
the machine off and once to turn it on, and you can test Linux without
having to rewrite anything on your harddrive," Bogart said of Knoppix. "Once
they realize they can test drive it without messing with their hard drive,
their eyes twinkle. Some of these people think that if it ends in X, it must
be hard to use. I say, 'No, you've been listening to the FUD.' ""

ftp://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors/knoppix/
I have mirrored this Linux demo distribution here.  I plan on trying it
tomorrow.
It sounds similar to the older DemoLinux project
http://www.demolinux.org/