[luau] Re: Gnome doesn't load at bootup

Dean Fujioka surfdean at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Mar 21 13:21:27 PST 2002

> hostname ""
>
> echo '/bin/ipcalc --silent --hostname $(/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | sed -n -e
> "s/^.*addr://g" -n -e "s/ Bcast.*//p")' >> /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> /etc/init.d/network restart

Is there a way I can save my settings first before I run this? Also could
you explain what this does ( not that I don't trust you, I'd just like to
know) before I do it? Or maybe you can let me know if my interpretation is
correct.
hostname ""
will set my host name to null
I looked at the man page for ipcalc. That seems to return network values. I
don't know what the $(  is for, but I have seen it on earlier posts and used
with the cat command
ifconfig returns information about network interfaces, but what does the  |
sed do?
I'm not sure of the other command line switches and quotes either.
It all then seems to be put into a file /etc/sysconfig/network
and then the network is restarted...
can you fill in the blanks?
Thanks more Ray,
dean