[luau] localhost connections

whenever whatever at whoever.net
Thu Mar 21 01:18:25 PST 2002

> the transport layer is layer 4 in OSI.  Thus, TCP/IP is a combination of
> layer 4, 3 and 2.  TCP provides two services; connection (data link), and
> transport.  IP provides the routing (network).  So to map TCP/IP to OSI
> accurately, we would need to break TCP into two pieces, and put IP in the
> middle.

TCP = Transmission Control Protocol (connection), it will re-transmit if
missing/error packets.

UDP = User Datagram Protocol (connection-less), it will not re-transmit
becasue there's no error checking, but will work if you application layer
build with error checking.

TCP and UDP are encap in IP and IP layer will add it's own header before
sending it to data link layer, then data link layer format the frame/add
header before shipping it out.