[luau] General Squid question

yuser at hi.net yuser at hi.net
Wed Mar 20 18:05:01 PST 2002

Is anyone familiar with the statistics that Squid produces?  Specifically the "Cache Misses" under "Median Service Times"
Is the "Cache Misses" parameter a measure of time before Squid realizes that the requested page is not cached and then sends it on or the total time it took for a missed
page to be fetched.

Background.  I am running Squid on an extra machine on a small home network with dialup on an  underpowered machine (P100 64mb SCSI).  Squid is basically the only
thing running on this machine and even it does not receive much action (roughly 25000 requests a month or 0.5 requests a minute).  If the Cache Misses time is the time
for Squid to determine that a page is not cached I might want to upgrade this machine to something else.  My kids go to the same sites on different computers and different
browsers often and it does save overall bandwidth and time for them but I roam freely and this may be a   bottleneck.  I've tried reducing the total size of the cache on disk
and have tried LRU and LFUDA over a period of a few months but the Misses time always stays roughly the same.

Median Service Times (seconds)  5 min    60 min:
	HTTP Requests (All):   2.50793  1.81376
	Cache Misses:          3.28534  2.50793
	Cache Hits:            0.00000  0.01955
	Near Hits:             0.55240  0.61549