[luau] ZDNet: Mandrake 8.2 Adds Office to Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Mar 20 12:54:21 PST 2002

I think ZDNet is incorrect in saying that StarOffice 6.0 is in the free
download, but it may be in the boxed versions being sold next month, tough
the download edition does have OpenOffice on disk 3.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-863430.html
MandrakeSoft adds Office to Linux

MandrakeSoft released a new version of its Linux operating system
distribution for servers and workstations on Thursday, with improvements to
make the software more stable and flexible, as well as easier to install and
use.

When the boxed product ships in April, version 8.2 will be the first
Mandrake Linux version to include the office suite StarOffice 6.0 and the
Outlook clone Evolution 1.02, both of which are considered to be
significantly improved over earlier editions.

The Mandrake release arrives as the company says it is struggling with
short-term financial difficulties. MandrakeSoft recently announced the
Mandrake Users Club and Corporate Club, accepting subscriptions to
contribute toward the company's bottom line, a step taken by many Web sites
that have found it impossible to exist on advertising alone. MandrakeSoft
said in a statement last week that its troubles are the result of "the
'sins' of previous management", but insisted, "we firmly believe that if the
entire community of users is mobilized we can easily get past this current
situation."
(continued in article)