[luau] Dvorak: Is Linux your Next OS?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Mar 19 17:25:17 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimen Ching" <jching at flex.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: [luau] Dvorak: Is Linux your Next OS?

> >use Linux.  Now if you have Windows stability problems, it is almost
> >always due to 1) Hardware problems 2) Crappy Drivers, or 3) Spyware and
> >Viruses.
>
> Hardware problems will affect Linux just as much.

I wasn't addressing the stability of Linux because that would be stating the
obvious.  I was only saying that we cannot say that Windows needs to
rebooted several times a day, because it simply is not true anymore for a
well maintained 2000 or XP desktop.

> But crappy drivers and spyware/viruses are things that an OS should handle
> with elegance.  An OS is more than just a VM or a scheduler.  When people
> talk about instability, they are usually refering to the device drivers
> and security.  This IS the measure of an OS's stability.

Good point.  I originally didn't consider security as important a factor in
the stability of a desktop, but you are correct.