[luau] Dvorak: Is Linux your Next OS?

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Tue Mar 19 15:19:47 PST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Ray Strode wrote:
>Seriously though, I do agree that Linux has a tremendous amount of
>potential in the server marketplace, but I think we as an Open Source
>community zelously knock on Microsoft's security, when many bugs are
>uncovered from a lot of software open or proprietary all the time.

Security defects are usually a result of human errors.  As long as humans
continue to write software and are not responsible for damages that these
softwares cause, then I do not see any possible improvements in security.

But, there is an advantage to free/open source software over proprietary
software.  With free/open source software, you are allowed to audit the
source code.  With proprietary software, you are at the mercy of the
vendor.

The military is now asking/telling Microsoft to improve their software
security.  They wouldn't need to ask, if they had the source code.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org