[luau] Open Source Household Promotes Computer Literacy

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Mar 15 01:33:28 PST 2002

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2002/03/14/household.html
Open Source Household Promotes Computer Literacy

... What may be surprising, however, is that this use of Linux, and open
source software, also extends to Ruben's home--and not just for his own use,
but for the entire family, including his wife, Ellen Safir, and their six
children (two boys and four girls, currently ranging in age from five to
fourteen). The house has half a dozen computers in it (more or less), all
networked together and connected to the Internet through DSL.
The Safir children are native Linux/open source users. "Our kids don't know
anything different," says Ruben. "They've developed the ability to [work on
the] command line and have their own desktops and different window managers.
They've also become pretty adept at finding programs to install, especially
games."
Having his children use Linux and other open source programs isn't just a
financial decision. "It's an issue of familiarity and computer literacy,"
Ruben states. "I've been advocating computer literacy, but what does that
mean? It doesn't mean learning to use WordPerfect or Word. It means
programming and the administration of a computer, understanding how it
functions and how you can use it--not just how to make a Word file."
(see full article for more)