[luau] Lost my Desktop

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Mar 14 13:28:37 PST 2002

> The owner is 'hersh', the group is 'users'.
>
> users is a group I set up for my network then made as everyone's
> default.
> chown'ing the /tmp/orbit-hersh/ directory and contents does not solve
> the problem either.

hmmm.. very odd...

> I never have had any luck with upgrading, I always hit some dependancy
> problem (ok except for the very rare occassion) and can't proceed.
> Though I would like to try the Ximian desktop...

I haven't used the Ximian desktop in a long time, but IIRC you can use:

lynx -source http://go-gnome.com | sh

(From a super user logged into to X)

Doesn't work for you?  Have you tried the latest vendor packages?  What
distribution
are you running?  An old version of RedHat?

Gnome 2 will be out very soon, so you may want to wait until then.  Note
though that
to have a usable system, you need to install Gnome 1.4 in parallel with
Gnome 2.0,
because most of the apps haven't been ported to the Gnome 2.0 platform yet.

--Ray