[luau] Red Hat OpenSSH Update

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Mar 8 21:11:59 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Anderson" <andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 6:45 AM
Subject: Re: [luau] Red Hat OpenSSH Update

> rant mode <on>
> It appears that people that are still running 6.2 are on their own. I wish
> them luck, it can be a little tricky. I am sure some on the list would say
> why don't you upgrade the systems. Hell, people still run Solaris 2.6 and
Sun
> still generates security patches.
> rant mode <off>

If I recall correctly OpenSSH was never included in Red Hat 6.2
distributions due to US crypto export laws of the time, so evidently they
feel that it isn't their responsibility.  Did they ever issue official
OpenSSH packages for Red Hat 6.2 before?

Did this SRPM work for you?  this README claims that it should.
ftp://ftp6.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/rpm/README

These RPMs are currently supplied for Redhat 7.2 only. You can build RPMs
for your system from the source rpm in the SRPMS/ directory using the
command:

rpm --rebuild openssh-3.0.1p1-1.src.rpm

NB. If you are building under Redhat 6.2, you will need to have installed
all of the errata updates.

There are several options in the RPM spec file which may be adjusted at
build time, inclduing the ability to disable compilation of the X11 and
GNOME askpass program and the activation of smartcard support.

ftp://ftp6.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/rpm/SRPMS/