[luau] pda question

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 7 12:15:19 PST 2002

Sorry, this isn't necesarily a straight-up linux question.

I've been trying to find a good pda/handheld computer for a long time, and
having no luck finding one that would meet my requirements.

The requirements are that it can be used for taking notes and writing
papers.
I'm not talking little notes to self either, but have enough
wordprocessing power to take notes for a 3-4 hour class, be able to draw
simple graphics and embed them in text.  Something that'll let me work on
a paper pretty much anywhere.  AND have a good enough input interface that
I can write fast enough to take notes, as fast as I would write if I was
using paper and pen.  I'm looking for something that'll let me WRITE data
in, not some mini-keyboard.  AND, while I would prefer it to run linux, I
would like it to at least be able to interface and transfer files with
linux.

I remember that the Apple Newton met or came close enough to meeting those
requirements.  Is there anything comparable around now?  I don't need a
color screen, I would prefer it to have a bigger screen.  I don't need it
to connect to the net, or play music or movies or any crap like that, I
just need it to work in a classroom/student environment.

Any reccomendations?

-Charles